VLADIMIR'S THOUGHTS - With Vladimir Petrovitch


TO BEGIN,

I have been informed at various points
throughout my short life, when asking
the question "But how shall I begin?"
that the best way to begin is well, to begin!

I have always found this a rather callous attitude,
and thought these people hasty with their dispatch
of such an important decision. It is said
(and the laws of physics tell us so) that to begin
is the hardest thing of all.

I for one, have always taken great care in beginning.

For to set a course for creative endeavour is to blindly step out into the darkness, and you will not find me out alone on the high seas of industry without sufficient supplies! (What these supplies might be, and what quantity is needed is quite a difficult thing to gauge, especially when the task is writing, and the plot unknown.)

My purpose is not wholly altruistic, I feel it my duty to explain my motivations to the extent of my knowledge. And here is where the difficulty lies. My knowledge is not great upon this subject, nor many others.

Do not be charmed by my modesty, I am not attempting to betray myself as a pious or moral individual, or engage in any other Pecksniffian pursuit, but merely to lay a warning directly across your path as if to say "Hey, you! Don't go investing your expectations here, for you might be disappointed, and I would not be one to disappoint YOU!"

At this point I fear I have ruined any chance of an eloquent or interesting proposal, and should not be offended by your exhortations for me to place my talents elsewhere.

Unfortunately, though you may plead and plead until blue in the face, I have made that most fateful step across the precipice,

I have peered out into the darkness and seen murky shapes. I have stocked my meagre supplies and done that which never should be done lightly,

I have begun.






No comments: